Buying your first home can be a time-consuming and stressful task, especially if don’t know too much about the real estate market in Cincinnati, Ohio. With the beautiful skyline, the legendary microbreweries, the rich local culture, the regular street festivals that span the city, the Cincinnati Museum of Art for art lovers, and the relaxed pace of life, Cincy is the place for singles and families alike. If you want a city that promises a great quality of life, this is the place for you, and it’s the place where you should look to buy your first home!
Here are some tips for helping you buy your first home in Cincinatti:
- Set a Budget –Know how much you can afford and stick to it. You’ll have to calculate how much of your income you can put towards a mortgage each month, and add that up to see just how much you can afford to borrow for your house. Don’t give in to the temptation to go over budget – stick to it!
- Know Thy Credit – You may have a credit card that you use regularly, but do you know what your credit score is? If you’ve bought a car, appliances, or trips with your credit card, you’ll probably have built up a good score. If you haven’t paid off debts that you owe to the card, your credit score may not be so good. Make sure that you know what your credit score is, as that will affect the rate you’ll get on your home loan.
- How Much Space? –If you’re going to invest in a house, think about how much space you really need. Do you really need four bedrooms for a 3-person family, or is that living above your means? Consider how much space you need and buy a house that will fit you and your family comfortably. (If you have more furniture than your Cincinnati home can hold, you can always rent a storage unit from unclebobs.com, Simply Self, or About Space.)
- Save Up – Now that you know you want to buy a house, it’s time to start saving. Cut back on the excess spending, and trim the fat from your current budget. If you save up now, you’ll have more to spend on the down payment. The higher the down payment you can make, the lower the total loan will be. Spend less, and start setting aside money as you go house-hunting. It can take months to find the right house, and those will be months in which you will be saving money.
- Work with a real estate agent- If you don’t know much about buying a house, it’s worth hiring a Realtor® to help you. They know all about getting a house checked out, they understand the real estate laws, and they can help you find the right house for your needs!
- Find the Right Area –Do you have kids or are you single? Do you work on the other side of the city or at home? Find a house that’s in the right location based on the schools and jobs in the area, as well as traffic to and from your work.
Finding the right house is important, and the tips above will help you find the best house for your family! Whether you’re living in the city because you work there, you’re a die-hard Bengals fan, or you just want a place to raise your family, you’ll want to find a house that you love as much as you love Cincinnati.